Touch OSC Android with X32

www.hexler.net

Re: Touch OSC Android with X32

Postby Paul Vannatto » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Hey Dan,

I tried the TouchOSC LogicPad layout with Reaper, and it does the messaging in both direction. The faders show the current state in Reaper, and when you change it in TouchOSC or Reaper, it instantly shows the changes in the other. It also shows the track name (assigned in Reaper) in the TouchOSC.

The key difference is that Reaper allows you to assign the return port.

Paul
Paul Vannatto

Postby Dan Towell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:52 am

Hi Paul at least we know the app works ,I downloaded another app called dawosc has a bit more information on connections but having same prob, it talks to x32 but is not receiving .So with reaper what command do you use for say a fader and does it echo a response back from that one command.

Dan
Dan Towell

Postby Paul Vannatto » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi Dan,

With the Reaper setup, it suggests using the LogicTouch.osc or LogicPad.osc templates that come with the TouchOSC app. The volume control uses the automatic setting for the OSC message (eg. page 1, volume1 => /1/volume1 message by default). But Reaper has some OSC translate files, two being LogicTouch.ReaperOSC and LogicPad.ReaperOSC. In these files, it does the translation from the TouchOSC messages to the Reaper commands.

Yes, when Reaper is loaded with this OSC template and setup to send/receive messages to/from specified IP addresses and ports, and the TouchOSC layout is setup in the same manner, the volume levels in the layout immediately set to whatever it is in Reaper. As you adjust the volume faders in Reaper, the layout responds accordingly. Likewise if the layout fader is adjusted, the faders is Reaper move accordingly - just like in the X32-Edit app.

Paul
Paul Vannatto

Postby Paul Vannatto » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:31 pm

When I have a moment, I want to create a X32_Emulator.ReaperOSC to see if I can get my X32 layout to respond accordingly in Reaper. Then the next step is to figure out what incoming port number my Android tablet uses.

Paul
Paul Vannatto

Postby Dan Towell » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Hi Paul
contacted Jan DUWE ,Assistant Manager, Conceptual Engineering ,MUSIC Group Services EU today and he's having a chat to their android app engineer to see if he can help.
Will keep you posted

Dan
Dan Towell

Postby Paul Vannatto » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:15 am

That's a great idea Dan

Thanks

Paul
Paul Vannatto

Postby Dan Towell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi Paul and Kevin

OK I got a reply
as mentioned in the documentation "OSC packets are received on UDP port 10023 and replies are sent back to the requester's IP/port.". You have two options: 1. you cyclically request exactly the parameters that you need 2. you cyclically (say every 5s) renew the change information request '/xcontrol', which will enable delivering all parameter changes

As of fw 1.15 there will be a change I'd like to make you aware of: When sending a parameter change to the console, there will be no more feedback. If you need feedback, you got to request it explicitly.

So I've emailed both hexler and dawosc to see if they would implement a button that could be used on first use of app and be able to send a osc message in a user defined time scale cycle, so we could use the xcontrol command and asked about the incoming UDP port ( if we need to keep it blank etc) although I'm not gonna hold my breath .

Thanks Dan
Dan Towell

Postby Dan Towell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:21 pm

OK bad news been speaking with Mark D'Errico of dawosc and the apps detect only UDP and its a major change of programming to look at IP.
Good news is he is working on this as an update and implementing the /xcontrol command button.
Bad news is he doesn't know when this could be , so I'm assuming touchosc has the same problem.
Dan Towell

Postby Paul Vannatto » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks Dan for finding all that out, especially the change in firmware 1.15, which is due out any day now (according to Joe Sanborn). At least we know where we stand. It is so much better than being in the dark.

Paul
Paul Vannatto

Postby X32gerst » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:09 am

Hi,
I tried the TouchOsc App on my Android Tablet, but wasn't able to get a connection to the console.
We have a X32 with FW 1.15 and remote control works fine with xmix on ipad. In toucHosc i specified the host adress (192.168.1.2) and Port (100023) but connection doesn't work. As soon as i start the xmix app on the ipad, the ipad appears as osc host in the touchosc app, but the x32 itself doesn't appear.
Any hints on what am i doing wrong?

Thanks,
x32gerst
X32gerst

PreviousNext

Return to TouchOSC